The 2021 Haiku Contest Announced!
Skipping Stones Magazine & The 2021 Asian Celebration
Invite your best Nature Haiku by 19 April 2021
Selected Haiku (and Tanka) entries will be featured on our website.
The Haiku (and Tanka) entries should be ready for display in the Asian Celebration exhibit. Use either 11 x 17 or 8.5 x 11 paper and feel free to include your own Nature art to illustrate the Haiku and/or Tanka. Chosen entries will be displayed in an exhibit during the 2021 Asian Celebration to be held in the month of May 2021 in downtown Eugene. May is celebrated as the Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. All entries will also be considered for publication in Skipping Stones’ website.
Haiku and Tanka (short song, in Japanese) are both traditional poetry forms that come from Japan.
* Haiku consists of three lines. The first line and third line both have five syllables and the middle line has seven (But we will not be very strict).
* Haiku appeals to the senses (sight, sound, smell, taste, touch) and touch the heart.
* Nature Art can accompany your haiku, and it is also encouraged!
* Tanka is a 31-syllable poem and has 5 lines with 5/7/5/7/7 syllable count, respectively.
On the back of your entries, provide this information:
* Your full name, School’s name, your grade level, Teacher’s name, your or teacher’s e-mail & address. Haiku entries must reach us by 5 PM on Monday, April the 19th, 2021 at
Skipping Stones office, P. O. Box 3939, Eugene, Oregon 97403 USA.
Our Street address: 166 W. 12th Avenue, Eugene, Oregon 97401 USA
(We’re located in the Odd Fellows Building on the corner of 12th Ave. & Charnelton St. in Eugene)
You can also choose to send your Haiku entries electronically if you wish. In that case, send HiRez .pdf, .jpeg or .tiff files of your artwork with embedded haiku. Haiku without art can be sent as a word .doc or .docx file.
To send by e-mail or for more info., contact: email@example.com
We look forward to seeing your HAIKUS and Tankas (with or without nature art) by 5 pm on Monday, the 19th of April 2021!